Photobucket

Monday, September 5, 2011

Love and Other Drugs

Today, as I watched the faces of people as I walked through the streets, I started thinking about friendships relationships. This was a most dificult subject for me to grasp, seeing as every relationship is different. There are some that inspire thought and wisdom. There are some that I are simply meant to entertain you, distract you even. Some relationships fill a hole or a void that you somehow have refused to deal with throughout time. Others swallow you whole and when your finally digested you dont remember what parts of you are them and what parts are you. And then you have those that truly give you meaning and help mold you into a better person.

I can say that I am blessed enough to have experienced almost every type of relationship there is. I saw one particular couple that made me really smile. The way they embraced each other was so nostalgic to me. It made me recall a particular person that I used to embrace that way. Sometimes I wish that I still could. Dont get me wrong I have no regrets about how and what happened between us. I just wish that I could experience things from her point of view, and her from mine. You know, when your in the midst of a break-up {be it friends or lovers} you cant see clearly in front of you, even if it is the truth. So how could you expect to ask someone to see what youre seeing? Feel what youre feeling? Lines are murky in relationships especially when you have no idea what you want from that relationship or from yourself.

[Without getting too deep into details or too far off the subject: We grew apart. We used to be so close, and somehow we became different people. We once shared everything {as much as you could possibly share with a person who is not yourself. No one shares EVERYTHING WITH ANYONE}But we shared a lot with each other. We were the kinds of friends that leaned on each other, but for me there came a point where I  no longer wanted to lean. I wanted to stand on my own. And you cant stand on your own if someone else is leaning against you. Sometimes you can help people, or offer your support but it gets to a point where you need to let a person fall so they too can stand on there own.]

Some people will come into your life for a reason/purpose. Some people will be there for a season. But every once in a while you have that 1 if your blessed, perhaps 2, that will be there for a lifetime. You cant shouldnt hold onto people who are not supposed to be in your life longer than they are. And those VERY few people who do stay for the long haul. Those people that your soul mates with in a way that you cant understand or control, they will not abandon you. They will soul search with you. Even when they have found their own already. These are the people who will help you to find your true self. But in order to become your true self, the best person you can stand to be, you have to figure out who that person is. Get to know that person. Understand that person. And you only get there by trial and error. Those relationships that stick around through the trials and MANY many errors, are the ones that are worth.

I can say that I have 2 friends that are have stuck with me through that process. They didnt complain, they didnt b.tch about my constant changes, they adapted and reacted accordingly. They supported me. When I was learning to walk again for the first time, they held my hand. They helped me rebuild myself from the ground up and the inside outwards. There were ugly moments, there were things about me that I didnt care for, there were things that needed repair. And they were there for all of it. They have been stapled relationships in my life.

But the most important relationship, that you will ever have, is the relationship you have with yourself. And when you have someone that fits perfectly with the you that you love... Hold them. And dont let them go.
I will leave you with this amazing video that someone posted to my facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment